
One thing I have never understood is those people who wait till Christmas Eve to shop. I hear about the lines and the lack of selection and wonder why anyone would want to do such a thing. Well what did we do? We decided to go to the International Marketplace and shop. We gave each other a 20 dollar limit for Christmas of things from Hawaii and were off. Today we also were shopping for souvenirs for others.
After a long few hours we bought tee-shirts, shells, necklaces, and lots of other trinkets.

Following our morning shopping we headed for Fatty’s Chinese Kitchen. We had heard this was a wonderful little joint and it was so small we passed it. After some help from some locals and meeting some people from SMU going to the football game we found the restaurant. It was pretty much the size of two bathrooms put together. We were like oh my goodness. However everyone there was Asian which was a good sign. I love going to a restaurant where the majority (well in this case everyone but us) of people are from the country it says it replicates. It was wonderful. We had sweet and sour pork, beef and broccoli, lo mien, and chicken wonton soup. The soup brought me back to the days of Hong Kong. We dropped all the gifts at the hotel and were off again to the Hawaii Bowl. What a bus ride.

It was about an hour and a half ride. We thought that we must be the only ones going to the game since everyone else looked like they were heading elsewhere. However it ended up that all of us were going to the game. When I saw the stadium I gasped and thought what an ugly stadium. It was brown and yellow. I hoped that once I got inside it would be better. Nope. It was just as old and broken down as it looked from the outside.

The bathrooms were done I think 60 years ago and the urinals were just a giant sink looking thing where everyone went. The game wasn’t much better than the stadium. SMU (the underdog) killed Nevada. We left with 8 minutes left in the 4th and they were up by 35. The bright spot was halftime. They had some famous Hawaiian singer, hula dancers, and fire dancers. Halftime made the trip worth it to the bowl game. I think the other hard part is no one was there. The stadium seemed empty. It started to rain or mist at halftime which made it a bit unpleasant but not bad considering what it could be.

The rest of the night was spent walking in downtown Waikiki in the misty rain and then an early bedtime since everything was shut down for Christmas.
No comments:
Post a Comment