
As I sat in the airport for 2.5 hours before my flight I had plenty of opportunities to watch the airport news channel over and over again; they have 3 stories and the weather which repeats about every 30 minutes. So after watching the stories air about 6 times I understood very well about the balloon family hoax trial, last minute Christmas shopping, and the weather concerns regarding the Midwest and Eastern United States. I thought to myself l am so glad to not heading east. I silently mocked those passengers that would inevitable face delays at other airports and problems in the air; however, as I am sitting on the plane typing this I thought about the old proverb what goes around comes around. Let’s see where to start? The plane was a bit late departing the gate, but only by about 20 minutes. Not bad, but I thought unnecessary since our plane landed from Atlanta hours before our scheduled departure. I sent my last text and boarded the plane.

After we were already late the pilot came on and said we would have to wait and get the plane deiced. Really? I thought why couldn’t you do that while we were just waiting at the gate for no reason? Whatever. I watched from my exit row seat over the wing as the spray trucks attacked our wings with whatever liquid and green snot looking stuff they shoot out to rid the wings of this so called ice. Nevertheless I was thankful for this service a few hours into the flight. The flight had been uncharacteristically bumpy from Salt Lake but nothing I couldn’t sleep through. However about half way though we hit all wall of turbulence. Now I have been in the air a few times where for about 20 seconds it is rough but nothing like what I was about to experience. The pilots came on and in a stern voice told everyone including to the flight attendants to take their seats immediately. I was curious to take a peek out my window to look at how the wings were handling the violet winds. I wanted to take a video of how brutal the wings were being tossed by the wing but I am pretty sure no one would ever want to fly again. It looked like the wings were moving up and down and every which way feet at a time. I am not exaggerating one bit. It almost made me sick watching it. I thought back to the deicing, if those wings were frozen I do not think they could have given as much as they were and I would not be writing this blog but somewhere over the Pacific Ocean. I watched the little information screen show headwinds of 80 miles then the next cycle tailwinds of 60. I am not a pilot or detective but I would assume the quick change of winds had something to do with the turbulence. The turbulence has now passed and I can for the first time on the flight see the clear blue ocean. That 45minutes to 1 hour of heavy turbulence made me very anxious to get on the ground!
oh my goooossshhh. you almost died!!! wooh. thank heavens! i am glad you didn't, and instead you were spoiled with an exit row. punk.
ReplyDelete